South End, Boston, MA ~ 1893
A classic South End brownstone, One Hanson Street was a tremendous source of reclaimed wood floor joists. The building, which rests at the end of a row of connecting wood frame and brick façade residences, abuts one of the Hanson Street alleys between Tremont and Bond streets. Our best guess suggests the 4,410 square foot building was constructed sometime before 1893, along with other similar homes on the street. Today, the four-story home is being gut-rehabbed into apartments.
Cambridge, MA ~ 1854
This modest Cambridge residence was built in 1854, the same year the world’s first oil well was drilled and the Boston Public Library opened. Located on an alley-sized side street outside of Inman Square, the 1,000 square foot building is being gut-renovated to expand the size of the attic and include a small side addition.
Boston, MA ~ 1899
The Putnam Nail Company building is a three-story, red brick structure sited in Port Norfolk, a small peninsula located between the Neponset River and Pine Neck Creek in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood. Framed out with Heart Pine and covered with Michigan-made Cobbs & Mitchell “Electric” maple flooring, this structure was built to last – and last it has.
Boston, MA ~ 1646
The North Battery of Boston Harbor was built by Major-General John Leverett in 1646 at the bottom of Copp’s Hill at Merry’s Point. We now know the location as Battery Wharf. This battery was built from timbers and filled with earth. A strategic point of defence, it covered both the mouth of the Charles River and the harbor. It was maintained with men and arms until the end of the Revolution.
Long ago, in the days before we knew better, tobacco was a principal crop in the Connecticut River Valley. The rich alluvial soil was ideal, and farmers planted the big leaf from Bennington to Hartford. Tobacco barns are still a common sight throughout the valley. Longleaf Lumber recently purchased the wood from several barns in Hatfield, Massachusetts. One of the barns was very unusual tobacco processing building. Most tobacco barns were drying sheds consisting of simple frames and barn board, hinged for ventilation.
Danvers, MA ~ 1874
One of our most interesting and recent sources of reclaimed wood is the Danvers State Hospital. Construction began on this incredible red brick Victorian Gothic style structure in 1874. Soonafter, in 1878, patients were admitted. Although it was architecturally designed by Boston’s Nathaniel Bradlee, its functional design was informed and inspired by the theories of then-famous and renowned physician Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride. Kirkbride’s theories on the treatment of the nation’s insane greatly influenced most of the state hospitals built in the mid to late 1800s, which became known as Kirkbride buildings.
Quincy, MA ~1933
Quincy’s Fore River Bridge was built in 1933 just below the giant Fore River Shipyard. Thousands of ships have passed under this drawbridge over the past eight decades, including the U.S.S. Wasp and the U.S.S. Massachusetts, both built at the shipyard. By 2004, the bridge was beyond operational repair and demolition began. Longleaf Lumber has salvaged the original hemlock pilings which helped support this structure.
Fall River, MA ~1821
Serving many purposes over the years, this building was built in 1821 to house the operations for the Fall River Iron Works, which played an important role in the development of the Fall River textile industry. Located on the shores of Mount Hope Bay near the mouth of the Taunton River, the location proved lucrative, and a steamship pier adjacent to the building provided space for ships to dock and unload.
Bakerville, CT ~ 1859
The Old Mill of Bakerville, CT, built in 1859 by John Scott Baker, was a three-story building that replaced a tannery on the same site. The mill had hydro powered wooden wheels with metal shafts churning water that streamed from a reservoir above it. These wheels turned belts for machines on the first and second floors that took care of sawing, canning and other needs of the agrarian community surrounding it. The top floor was developed into a dance hall.