Monthly Archives: October 2013
Holyoke, MA ~ 1866
In 1865, the thread manufacturing firm Merrick, Bro. & Co. moved their operations from Connecticut to Holyoke, Massachusetts. This location afforded water-power that would allow them to enlarge their business and manufacture a higher quality of six-cord thread used at that time by sewing machines. Soon after their relocation, they changed their corporate name to The Merrick Thread Company. In 1866, they completed their first manufacturing structure, which would utilize power generated by the Holyoke Water-Power Company along the canal. A year later, 200 employees began production of spool cotton. The years that followed brought financial growth and the expansion into additional building space in the mill complex.
Boston, MA ~ 1891
This 1891 Cigar Factory Building was built as a five-story structure by Edgar Allen Poe Newcomb for the manufacturing of cigars by Alles & Fisher, a cigar company founded in Cambridge, MA in 1863. They occupied the building until 1918, when they ceased cigar production. Their retail store operated on the street level of the building.
Historic Russia Wharf (also known as Atlantic Wharf) of Boston Harbor is being converted into a 31-story high rise which will incorporate the original brick and timber structure as a part of its design. Many of the original Heart Pine timbers were selectively removed from the original building to allow for the new superstructure.